Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the Melting Pot!! or not.

I brought the grandkids to visit mom and dad in Cincinnati. Mom made an astute observation while I was home. Upon reflection of the diffuculties faced by Taiwan in the aftermath of Typhoon Morakot, I commented on the infinite creativity grown out of Taiwan's population I had just observed this trip. She analyzed that this creativity drew from a history of mixing many diverse cultures. So I asked her, "What about America?" She paused only a moment, and replied "America has less mixing."

I had to laugh out loud. A straight-up acknowledgment from my mother on the segregation of American society! She continued, "'We are not really the melting pot."

If ever anyone wondered how Tim and I turned out the way we did, with the perspectives we hold, you can grab a clue here!

No comments: