Thursday, September 25, 2008

Edge of America

Add this to my cache of teacher/coach flicks. Let's keep our eye to the truth of our country's origins. I like the term, "The Edge of America" referring to "Indian" communities. It injects a good dose of humble pie to any sense of "entitlement" we may harbor.

Daniel Junges' film, Chiefs, is made the way a documentary should be made. Homegrown in Wyoming, he grew up a spectator on the sidelines of the Chiefs singular mindedness around their basketball team. Curious and eager to tell their story, he goes home to do just that.

The Edge of America is a fictional reconstruction of reality in Utah. A real mishmash of race in this country. Perhaps a relevant reminder in our current day and age.

"You tell me why I'm pissed off."
"Because you're a black man in America."
"That's right. I'm good and pissed off."
"Well, get over it! You're talking to Indian People here. Get over it! Get on with it! Or get the hell out!"

No comments: