Friday, September 26, 2008

Surf

On my netflix account, I was warned the following films would not be available after October 2. So I'd better get cracking and watch them now while it's available.

The first two nascent films for Bruce Brown, Slippery when wet (1958), and Endless Summer (1966) were the first beginnings of a filmmaker dynasty; Now going on three generations of surfer filmmakers. Slippery When Wet, the first endeavor, had a budget of $5000, which included airfare to Hawaii for 5 surfer guys, $250 for the songtrack from a musician friend, and the purchase of all of his film equipment!

My impressions? I like the storytelling of Bruce Brown. Travel the world and surf? Live on a shoestring. Boys who know how to play in a big way. Real life always butts in. Sigh.
Endless Summer

No comments: